The student news site of Peters Township High School Media

PT Media

Astronaut Breaks Record for Most Days in Space

Payton Rehl, Staff Writer

On April 23rd of 2017, astronaut Peggy Whitson broke the US record for the most cumulative days in space. As the current commander of the International Space Station, Whitson has already pushed many barriers in science and technology, becoming the first woman to command the station, twice. While she has already contributed many significant works to modern science and NASA’s research, Whitson continues to raise the bar to a record-high overall 650 days in space.

Whitson’s current endeavor in space began on November 19th of last year, flying out to the ISS to take command for a second time. While monitoring the station, Whitson has already done eight spacewalks in which she ventures out of the station, her last one taking place in March. According to previous calls, she has currently been researching the practicalities of living in space, mainly the effects on the human body when faced with the conditions of little to no gravity.

After breaking this astronomical achievement, Whitson was congratulated by President Trump, who discussed life and operations in space with Whitson and a fellow crew member, Jack Fischer. Going onward, the president praised their work within the station, learning with the rest of the nation how they receive necessary items in space Jokingly, Trump ended by encouraged speeding the production to make it all the way to Mars during his first term as president, maybe possible thanks to Whitson’s contributions.