The student news site of Peters Township High School Media

PT Media

PT Recordbreakers

Devon Milley, Writer

Throughout the history of Peters Township High School, sports teams have been extremely successful in breaking records and winning titles. These are some of the most prominent achievements our sports teams have accomplished since 1974.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a comprehensive list of every record or every sport in the high school.

Baseball:

The team won their first section title in 1975 and went on to win it eight more times. In addition, they have won WPIALS three times. Two Peters alumni, Chris Peters and Brian Simmons, have gone on to play in the MLB.

Golf:

The team began winning titles as early as 1974, their first section championship. They won that title eighteen more times, most recently in 2015. Golfers have also held the WPIAL championship title six times. This past year, senior golfer Mia Kness won the State championship, and junior Hunter Bruce won the WPIAL title in 2015.

Ice Hockey:

2002 was a big year for the hockey team; they held the section champion, WPIAL champion, and State champion title all in one year and did it again the following year. They continued to win the section title five more times, the WPIAL title three more times, and the State title two more times. Our rink has also produced two NHL players, Christian Hanson and Matt Clackson.

Soccer:

The boys and girls teams have each been section champions 13 times, collectively giving our school 26 titles. The boys have also won WPIALS nine times and states four times. Their most recent major win was in 2014, when the boys team won the state championship against Great Valley with a score of 2-1. The girls team has been WPIAL champions two times and state champions three times. Their latest win was when the team defeated Cumberland Valley with a score of 1-0 in the state championship in 2012.

Swimming/Diving:

The boys and girls swim team have collectively been section champs 25 times, 2017 being the boys’ most recent victory. Junior Stephen Hopta broke Tom Hay’s 29 year old 200-yard freestyle record, swimming with a time of 1:42.52. He also broke the 100-yard backstroke record and various others in his previous years. Sophomore Abby Hay broke the 200-yard Individual Medley and 100-yard butterfly records this season. She also broke the 500-yard freestyle record, winning WPIALS last year in that event. Junior diver Ryan Saunders broke Justin Tolmer’s previous 1989 dive record with a score of 260.625, which also got him onto the “200 point club banner”. Other divers to join this club are Morgan Malencia, Daner Schratz, Amy Crummie, and Tommy Devine.

Tennis:

The tennis team has collectively been section champions 42 times, the most of any sport. Alison Riske, state champion in 2006, went on to become a professional tennis player. Sarah Komer was the doubles WPIAL and state champion twice in 2011 and 2012. The girls team has won WPIALS and States in the same year three times. The boys team were WPIAL champions in 1976. They also had individual champions in 1993 and 2002 with Brad Wade, Dan Riske and Lee Marnik.

Track:

Some of the records on the track banners are so old that their respective events don’t even exist anymore. The 440-yard individual, 880-yard individual, and 880-yard relay records were all set in 1974. The most recent record setter was Nick Wolk in the 3200 meter individual in 2016. The boys and girls teams have collectively been section champions ten times.
With our proven success in the past and present, our sports teams have created a reputation: Peters Township is always a name to fear in the WPIAL league. These accomplishments are only the beginning for the future achievements of our athletes.