The student news site of Peters Township High School Media

PT Media

Makenna Makes it to the Collegiate Courts

Devon Milley, Writer

Student athletes usually begin thinking about college and potential sports scholarships during their junior or senior year of high school. However, sophomore Makenna Marisa began receiving basketball scholarships to numerous colleges, including University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University, Delaware University, and St. Joseph’s University, in the summer of her eighth grade year.

“The first time it happened, I was so overwhelmed. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it at first. It is really exciting every time it happens,” said Marisa.

However, Marisa isn’t sure what her future holds. She has decided to wait and see what other opportunities come her way before making a final decision to ensure that she ends up at the right college.

Marisa started playing basketball at the age of five, thanks to her parents pushing her to play sports at a young age. While her parents were the main reason she stuck with it, Marisa eventually grew to love basketball and has been working hard ever since.

No matter their talent, some athletes opt out of playing on a collegiate level. However, Marisa knows basketball is what she wants to continue to pursue.

“I definitely want to play basketball in college and possibly keep playing even after college,” said Marisa. “I think it’d be cool to play in Europe and possibly the WMBA.”

Marisa’s family is very proud of her, and they continue to encourage her to work hard. Her teammates and coach, Bert Kendell, also love to hear about her success.

“I am super proud of her,” said teammate Lilly Young. “The offers she gets shows how much hard work and dedication she puts into the sport.”

While Marisa takes her time looking at colleges, this year’s basketball season has been going very well. The high school girls’ varsity team has won six of their nine games.

“We got off to a rough start, but we’ve won all our section games so far which is really good,” said Marisa. “Hopefully, we’ll beat Mount Lebanon to become first in our section.”

Since Marisa has at least a year before she makes any major decisions, she plans to continue making memories with her teammates for her next three seasons.

“My favorite memory with my team is when we beat Bethel Park in my freshman year,” said Marisa. “All the girls make the season so much fun. We get along so well, and we all love the sport which motivates us to keep getting better.”