The student news site of Peters Township High School Media

PT Media

Mia Wins the Match

Picture by: Ann Augustine

Picture by: Ann Augustine

Picture by: Ann Augustine

Devon Milley, Writer

Most student athletes dream of making it to WPIALS or states, but it became a dream come true for senior Mia Kness on October 18. Kness became the first female state golf champion in PT history. She scored an even par (144) at Heritage Golf Resort in York, PA, beating Conestoga’s Samantha Yao by two strokes.

“I felt very confident in myself going into the state championships. I played a very tough track, but this year, I was not nearly as nervous as I was previous years,” said Kness.

Kness’ certainty in herself gave her teammates and coach confidence in her, too. They were all rooting for her success at states and were very proud of her.

“She seemed excited and prepared. Mia had the experience and confidence to be the state champ,” said teammate Cate Deegan. “I seriously don’t know what we’re going to do without her next year.”

“I was fortunate to be working with such an outstanding athlete. She had a great mental approach to the season,” said Coach Farrell.

Along with this great achievement, Kness placed second at WPIALS twice, won the Western Regional twice (and once runner up), and made it to states every year, all while having a great time with her teammates.

“My favorite part of the season is when we all go to WPIAL Team Finals at the end of the season. We’ve always had great success this day every year and I look forward to going back every year,” stated Kness. “This year was by far my favorite year out of my four years. We got along together really well as a team.”

While this is Kness’ last year playing in PT colors, she will trade in her red polo for a blue one. Kness has verbally committed to play golf at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. However, that’s not to say she will forget about the Peters team.

“The thing I will miss most are the van rides to and from matches and just the team in general,” said Kness. “We’ve bonded so well together over the past couple months, and it is really tough to watch it go. We became like a family.”